Thursday, July 31, 2014

Breakfast....cupcakes?

So, I wouldn't consider myself a really awesome cook. BUT I do like to try out new recipes. Hubs always gets mad at me gives me a hard time because I never follow the recipe exactly. But, hey! I’m my own person and I like doing things my own way. Ha!

One thing that’s really hard for me is breakfast. Unfortunately, I have a day job and even more unfortunate is that it is an hour to an hour and half drive from my front door to the parking garage at my office. Blaaaah! So needless to say I’m typically in a pretty big hurry when I am getting ready for my day. I get into these really bad habits of stopping for breakfast (yes, I too have a Starbucks addiction) but I’m trying to come up with easy breakfast ideas that me and Hubs will both like.

This was one we tried this week and it was a pretty big hit! Hashbrown Cupcakes! Easy to make, grab on the go, heat up at the office. Super simple and pretty tasty! There are many different ways you can do this. Personally, I’d prefer to add some onions and peppers into mine but Hubs would wrinkle his nose at that…SO we stick with the basics.

First preheat your oven to 350 F.

Then, all I did was brown 1 pound of sausage (you can use turkey sausage to make it healthier!) and mix that with one bag of frozen hash browns (thawed), a little bit of milk, 5-6 eggs depending on size, 1 and ¼ cup of shredded cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.


You can make this as a casserole but for the purpose of it being a “grab and go” meal, I decided to use muffin pans! This mixture makes about 18-24 cakes depending on how many eggs you use and how full you fill your muffin pan. Be sure to grease your pans first because the hash browns WILL stick.


Then start filling your muffin pans. Quick tip for a not so messy process -  use an ice cream scoop!



Now, place in oven and bake for about 25 minutes. Be sure to check on them every once and a while…you don’t want them too crispy. Once they start to turn golden brown, pull them out of the oven and let them cool in the muffin pan for about 10 minutes. Once cooled, you can use a knife or spoon to get them out. They make such a perfect little cupcakes!



Reheat instructions: 25-35 seconds per cake in the microwave



Hope you enjoy! If you come up with any fun variations, please share in the comments! I’d love to hear about your creations!

Stay safe.


KC

No comments:

Post a Comment