Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Headframes and Bedboards

This morning while I was sitting in bed drying my hair (because that seems like the most logical place to dry my hair) I was checking out our bed. Hubs and I actually MADE our bed 1 year ago this month. Not that I don’t have confidence in my husband’s handy work but making a bed is a pretty big undertaking and I’m shocked impressed that it is still holding up! Hasn't budged at all! So since we are celebrating the one year anniversary of our bed, I thought I’d share a few pictures.

Unfortunately, I can’t really give you a step by step “how to” because I really wasn't that involved with the wood work for the headboard and frame. But I can tell you this – Hubs used a plan off of Ana White’s website (she’s fabulous by the way – definitely check out her page) and tweaked parts of it to make it our own and for it to fit a king mattress. Here's a link to the plan we used - Farmhouse Queen Bed 

I REALLY like the chevron pattern so I wanted to incorporate that into the headboard somehow….so this is what Hubs came up with:



Like I said, I can’t really give you a step by step but I do know that he cut the wood for the chevron pieces first, made a frame, and screwed all of those pieces together. Then he proceeded to do the outside of the headboard. The big posts on both ends are actually 4x4 fence posts with post caps put on top. I was really worried that it would look like we took part of a fence and added a bed frame to it (ha!) but it really turned out good! Oh, and we made everything a little bit taller than the plan called for because (1) we have a pretty deep mattress and (2) I wanted a BIG bed J

Once we got the headboard all put together, it was my job to make it look good. After some serious sanding and filling a few screw holes with wood filler, I put on a layer of wood primer and let that sit overnight. Then, the next day I used a basic black stain that you can pick up at any hardware store, and stained the entire thing. Looking back, I think I should have let this dry for a couple days, sanded again, and then put another coat of stain on it. I would really like to take a weekend and redo this stain job but I think it'd be more work than it's worth at this point. 



Now, because of the angle you have to take to get into our bedroom, we actually had to put the bed together in our room….

Hubs didn't know I was taking pictures. Oops!




And here’s the final product! (I guess I could have made the bed a little bit better). Also, I plan on getting new night stands and giant lamps to put on either side of the bed but that has yet to happen. I’ll post a new picture once we get the entire room completed!




No comments:

Post a Comment